We are responsible for ensuring the delivery of appropriate levels of professional and vocational training and continuing education to all levels of Medical Personnel and Dental Personnel for the Region. We discharge this responsibility through a network of part time and full time employees, honorary staff and other interested clinicians.
The Deanery is led by the Postgraduate Dean, Mr David Wilkinson, who in turn is supported by 3 Deputy Postgraduate Deans (Dr David Eadington, Dr Peter Taylor and Mr Jon Hossain). The PGMDE Committee are responsible for the strategic framework of the organisation.
Role and Partnerships
The Deanery works in partnership with Yorkshire and the Humber Strategic Health Authority (SHA) to:
- Plan, commission and manage the provision of postgraduate medical, dental and inter-professional education that meets professional requirements and the needs of the service.
- Deliver sustained increases in the medical and dental workforce, especially GPs and consultants, in line with the NHS Plan, National Service Frameworks and Strategic Health Authorities' Local Delivery Plans
This partnership is committed to the development of highly skilled doctors and dentists, to provide a high standard of patient care to meet the requirement of the NHS, embracing the following principles:
- Improve health care through high quality training
- Be informed by the principles of Good Medical Practice
- Maintain the standards and improve the quality of education
- Work in an honest, fair and transparent way
- Recognise the role that the trainees play within the service
- Encourage individual trainees to achieve their potential
- Support and develop trainers
- Recognise the central role of the patient, and the trainee/patient relationship
- Support, guide and educate the whole medical workforce
- Create a learning environment
- Work in partnership with other professionals in healthcare and education
- Provide leadership in the field of education and training
- Be responsive to the changing needs and values of the NHS.
To contact staff at the Deanery go to the A - Z Staff Directory.
The Deanery consists of three offices based in:
- Hull (Willerby Hill)
- Leeds (Willow Terrace Road, University of Leeds Campus)
- Sheffield (Don Valley House)
For more details go to 'Our Offices'