Hospitals on the West Yorkshire Rotation -Leeds
(Leeds General Infirmary, St James’s University Hospital, Chapel Allerton Hospital, Seacroft Hospital)
Radiology in The General Infirmary at Leeds (LGI)
The General Infirmary at Leeds, is a large teaching hospital based in the centre of Leeds. This was first opened in 1771 on the site of the former Yorkshire Bank. In response to an ever increasing patient demand a new hospital was commissioned based on the pavilion plan, recommended by Miss Florence Nightingale. This had many state of the art features including with plentiful baths and lavatories as well as a system of hydraulic hoists to assist patient transfers!
The building was officially opened on 19 May 1869 by HRH The Prince of Wales. The new building, which cost £100,000 to construct, became fully functional in May 1869.The original Grade I listed building has been added to since to make it one of the largest hospitals in Europe.
The LGI provides extensive adult and paediatric services to the local and tertiary populations and is a Nationally recognised centre for Neurosurgery, Paediatric Cardiology and Trauma Care. There are 1100 in patient beds and the Emergency Department sees approximately 120,000 patients per year.
The Radiology Department reflects this in its expertise in Acute Hospital and Trauma Care. There are attachments in: Acute Imaging, GI, Musculoskeletal, Paediatric, Vascular, Breast, Cardiac, Chest, Ultrasound and Neuroradiology which offer the opportunity to experience and learn cutting edge imaging techniques from internationally recognised experts.
For those of you with interests beyond Radiology alone, the location of the LGI means it is only a short walk into the City Centre with its wealth of shopping opportunities and social activities.
RCR Tutor LGI
Radiology in St James's University Hospital (SJUH)
St James Hospital was established in 1874 on the site of a former workhouse and became part of the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust in 1998. It is of similar size to Leeds General Infirmary with over 1100 inpatient beds and is sited in a residential area of North Leeds close to the 500 acre Roundhay Park. In 2007 there was a major expansion of the hospital with the opening of the Institute of Oncology. This £220 million state of the art development is one of the largest cancer centres in Europe. Other specialities also based in St James include hepatic and renal transplantation, upper gastrointestinal and thoracic surgery, respiratory medicine, nephrology and infectious diseases.
Our busy radiology department employs 23 consultant radiologists and is very well equipped with 4 CT scanners, 3 MRI scanners, 2 ultrasound departments, and 3 plain film sites. This is the main site for the nuclear medicine service with a new isotope department which will soon be equipped with a clinical and a research PET/CT scanner.
At any one time about 20 of the specialist registrars are based here. Their week is usually divided into clinical sessions in the radiology department and three session attending the Radiology Academy teaching program. The work of the department reflects the busy clinical practice of the hospital.
Dr Bobby Bhartia
RCR Tutor SJUH
Radiology in Chapel Allerton Hospital
The original Chapel Allerton Hospital was opened in May 1927 by HRH Princess Mary. Costing £130,000, it provided a total of 200 beds and was designed to cater for former military personnel from Yorkshire, East Lancashire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.
Equipment in the new hospital included two operating theatres, X-ray, a massage and electrical department and a bacteriological library. Wards were strictly segregated between officers and other ranks, as was the custom at that time.
Since then it has undergone multiple changes the most recently in 2005 with the opening of the Chapel Allerton Orthopaedic Centre (CHOC). It is now a centre of excellence for Elective Orthopaedic Surgery, Rheumatology and Care of the Elderly.
The Radiology Department was completely renovated to accommodate these changes and now offers an internationally recognised Musculoskeletal Imaging Service. The department has an MRI scanner, ultrasound, plain radiography and fluoroscopy services. Attachments here come as part of the Musculoskeletal block with the emphasis on elective orthopaedics and rheumatology.
Chapel Allerton hospital is the site of the Leeds Musculoskeletal Biomedical Research Unit of which radiology is a key component (see research)
Within easy walking distance is Chapel Allerton with its shops, bars and restaurants.