This programme covers North, East and West Yorkshire across to North East Lincolnshire and serves a population of 3.8 million, which ranges from a large number of inner city conurbations with a multi cultural population to rural communities covering the Dales, Moors and Wolds in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Within Health Education England working across Yorkshire and the Humber there are 2 medical schools, Hull York Medical School and Leeds Medical School incorporating Bradford.
These pages are designed to introduce you to the Training Scheme and for you to take the opportunity to explore the different hospitals you could work in and the type of training which is available. The hospitals in the region offer a large breadth of training in gastroenterology and endoscopy in addition to different sub-specialities alongside training in acute and general medicine. Several Hospitals have the benefit of magnetic tracking devices for colonoscopy which will aid training. Others have dedicated endoscopy consultants. Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust is a JAG approved training centre for gastrointestinal endoscopy and offers courses in both lower and upper GI endoscopy.
Dr John Tucker, RCP CPD Adviser Yorkshire
- Dr Peter Hammond, Chair G(I)M STC
- Dr Rachel Hepherd , SpR Representative on G(I)M STC
- Dr Kristian Bailey, SpR Representative on G(I)M STC
We offer the following sub-specialties:
- Advanced Endoscopy:
- ERCP: Those who demonstrate endoscopic dexterity have ample opportunity to train in this discipline.
- Endoscopic Ultrasonography: There are at present 3 centres where training in this area is available. Bradford, Hull and Leeds.
- Capsule Endoscopy and Enteroscopy are available in Hull and Leeds.
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection and other aspects of therapeutic endoscopy are offered as one year fellowship in Leeds within the programme.
- Hepatology. Training in this field occurs at most hospitals in the deanery where there is often a consultant with an interest in this field. All trainees however do get the opportunity to rotate through the regional Transplant Liver Unit at St James’s University Hospital. There is also a stand-alone advanced hepatology post where trainees can gain an extra 12 months hepatology experience (6 months in Leeds and 6 months in Sheffield).
- Nutrition: There are currently 3 centres where a gastroenterologist is involved/leads a nutrition team. These are Bradford, Scarborough and Hull. Leeds does offer a course in Clinical Nutrition. This is a 4-day course organised annually in Leeds. Several of the current specialist registrars are currently undertaking an MSc in Nutritional Medicine at The University of Surrey and appropriate leave can be given. Previous registrars have organised short placements at National Intestinal Failure Units.
- Oesophageal Function Testing is available in some centres, but full range including impedance is available in Hull.
- Academic Gastroenterology offering two lecturer posts in the scheme mainly based at Leeds.
Dr Mounes Dakkak
Hospitals in the Programme
Most of our hospitals are within easy reach of the Yorkshire Dales, Yorkshire Coast, Pennines and Lake District. There is an extensive motorway network and rail links to the rest of the country. There is a wide range of cultural and sporting activities available and the opportunity to visit many historic cities within the Yorkshire Region. There are several airports connecting to a wide range of destinations. These include the Leeds Bradford, Humberside and Robin Hood airport whilst others are very close (Manchester, East Midlands and Teesside). To find out more information please visit the Yorkshire Tourist Board (http://www.yorkshire.com/) and the Yorkshire Dales (www.yorkshiredales.net/) websites.
Hospitals in the Programme:
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust -
Leeds General Infirmary & St James's University Hospital
- Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals –
Hull Royal Infirmary & Castle Hill Hospital
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust -
Bradford Royal Infirmary
- Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust -
Calderdale Royal Hospital in Halifax
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust –
Pontefract General Infirmary & Pinderfields General Hospital
- York Hospitals NHS Trust -
- Scarborough and North East Yorkshire Healthcare NHS Trust -
- Harrogate and District NHS Trust -
Harrogate District Hospital
- Airedale NHS Trust -
Airedale General Hospital
- Northern Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Trust –
Scunthorpe General Hospital & Diana Princess of Wales Hospital in Grimsby