Training Days/ Courses/ Educational Events


  • All hospitals offer Grand Round, cancer MDT and CPD meeting on site.
  • General (Internal) Medicine Training days: These dates are advertised on the Health Education Yorkshire & Humber website but also on the RCP website
  • JAG approved endoscopy course at EYSE (east yorkshire school of endoscopy)\yorkshire
  • Leeds Course in Clinical Nutrition organised by Dr Heatley (4-7 September 2007) (email-, tel 0113 343 2494, fax 0113 343 2511)
  • NEGS: The North of England Gastroenterology Society. This meeting forms part of the SpR gastroenterology training days programme.
  • Ridings Gut Club This is mainly for those based in the eastern sector of the training scheme, but all are welcome.
  • Leeds Gut Club
  • Endoscopy and Histology Tutorials. A useful site is run by Dr Bjorn Rembacken, Consultant endoscopist at Leeds General Infirmary.
  • Health Education England working across Yorkshire & the Humber Professional Development Courses: These courses are designed for SpR's (and Consultants) and should be undertaken during the 5 year training period as a registrar. There are a total of  12 modules and include topics such as Research Skills, Legal and Ethical issues, Management and Leadership Development, Career Management to name but a few. Please see the main the Education pages for more information. It is important to note that you need to book early onto these courses as there is a high demand and potentially a long wait to get onto these modules. A management course is a mandatory requirement before CCT and should be aimed to be done in the 3rd/4th years (ST5 or ST6)
  • Postgraduate Courses / Degrees
    The universities of Leeds and Hull both offer postgraduate courses in various areas which may be of interest.  
    Leeds University – Postgraduate programmes in Health Research Skills, available to certificate or diploma level 


How many gastroenterology training days and general medical training days should I attend in a year?

You need 4 days, each category each year

How can I apply for study leave?

You must apply 8 weeks in advance (even if you are not requesting funding). The request needs the approval of the Consultant and the Trust where you are based before it is sent to the office of the Speciality Study Leave Advisor (Programme Director), currently Beryl Iveson-Smith at ERMEC in Hull for final approval.

How much is the study leave budget?

The study leave budget is limited and is top sliced to provide the training days in the deanery leaving approximately 500 pounds per trainee per year.  The arrangement is under review and it may be possible in future to have the allocation over the full programme for the trainee rather than the current annual amount.