Dental Core Training OMFS – Leeds Teaching Hospital Trust
About Leeds General Infirmary + Leeds Dental Institute
- A unique DCT post where you are based within a university dental school as well as a tertiary trauma centre
- Leeds Teaching Hospital Trust is one of the largest and busiest acute trusts within the UK exposing trainees to a multitude of clinical scenarios alongside some of the best clinicians globally.
- LTHT covers the North East and Yorkshire for cleft surgery meaning you will have a much greater exposure to a management of CLP cases.
- Working with the Medical and Dental schools provides numerous teaching and research opportunities
- The team is extremely well supported at all levels with OMFS Seniors, Dental specialists, Advanced Nurse Practitioners, HCAs, Junior doctors and dental core trainees.
- Located within Leeds City centre, Leeds General Infirmary is a stone’s throw from all the excitement Leeds has to offer.
- Close proximity to the M62 and M1 means trainees can live in nearby cities such as York, Sheffield and Manchester
- The train station is a 5 walk away from the hospital with excellent links across the country
- Leeds is very affordable and you can get the city sky line for a fraction of the price of London/Manchester.
- With 5 Universities located within the city there are always events going on to help you enjoy life outside of work- not forgetting the incredible nightlife and nearby countryside.
Testimonials (Rahail Kumar DCT2)
The thought of going from a district general hospital to a major trauma site was very daunting but the team at LTHT have made it the best decision I ever made. The sheer exposure to all aspects of OMFS is astounding and the level of inclusion within treatment for DCTs unparalleled.
The OMFS Team at Leeds are massive advocates of progression and independent practice in a supportive controlled environment. DCTs have their own biopsy and MOS lists but will always have someone on hand if they need assistance. Working with complex head and neck cases not only sets you up for a career in OMFS but it gives so many life lessons to take back to general practice.
Working as part of the on-call team not only exposes you to the dental management of patients it also exposes you the plastics and ENT management of conditions.
The lessons I’ve learnt in these few months have been life changing and I can’t wait to see how the year progresses.