Future Leaders Programme: Call for Bids 2023
Health Education Yorkshire and the Humber has opened bids for Future Leader posts due to commence in August 2023. The Future Leaders Programme has been a great success over many years. Full details on what a Future Leader is and how the programme works is available on our website.
Information relating to the recruitment and employment arrangements for Future Leaders can be found on our recruitment website.
One of our Future Leaders alumni has created a video aimed at Educational Supervisors, giving some helpful advice on roles and responsibilities: The Future Leaders Programme - Supervising your Fellow
All proposals should be made via the online bid portal and should be submitted no later than 5pm on 23rd August 2023.
It is important that bidders note:
- 50% funded bids must be submitted together with confirmation of funding arrangements. Bids without funding confirmation will not be considered. Please note that only 100% funded bids will fall under the lead employer arrangements.
- It is the bidder’s responsibly to identify an employer. HEE cannot be involved in sourcing an employer for Future Leaders. Bids received without confirmation of an employer will not be considered
- Bids will not be accepted unless they are submitted together with a Job Description and Person Specification (a generic FLP Person Specification is attached for information)
- Posts are not automatically continued once they reach their conclusion, so Lead Bidders will need to submit new bids if they wish for any posts to be repeated or continued
It is not permitted for any fellowships to include clinical duties as all fellowships are a whole-time leadership experience.
Due to increased pressure on HEE budgets, there will be no 100% HEE funded opportunities, apart from HEE Postgraduate School bids. In order to maximise the number of opportunities from our limited resources, we have agreed to fund posts in the following ways:
- Trust funds 50%, HEE funds 50% baseline salary costs
- Integrated Care System (ICB) fund 50%, HEE funds 50% baseline salary costs
HEE are committed to leadership in the NHS, so would welcome the opportunity to open the breadth of our leadership training to as many individuals as possible. Our leadership fellows are often appointed to leadership roles earlier in their career than traditional career pathways. We therefore welcome Future Leaders onto our programme that are 100% Trust/ICS funded (with no HEE salary funding input). These can be funded by a single or combination of organisations. HEE would support these individuals by funding full access to the Future Leaders Programme of courses, study leave entitlement and the peer support element the programme has to offer.
The funding arrangements for the 2023 cohort of Fellows remains as follows:
- Salary contributions for Future Leaders will be made to employers on actual basic salary plus an administration contribution of £400
- Study leave costs will be covered by HEE up to a maximum of £3,450 for each Future Leader
- Project costs will not be covered by HEE. This includes any travel and associated expenses linked to the project. The exception to this arrangement is HEE School bids – all associated expenses would be funded via the School curriculum delivery budget.
A formal panel will convene to review all submitted bids on 4th October. HEE will then contact all Lead Bidders by 11th October to confirm the outcome. The bid assessment tool that the panel will run to is attached for your information.
The future leaders programme is committed to following HEEs inclusive recruitment policies. We encourage you to make your bid attractive and open to healthcare professionals from a diverse range of backgrounds. Although posts will be advertised by HEE via their website, the bidder is responsible for promoting their post via their networks. Interviews for approved bids will be held in December to allow all appointed applicants to commence in post on 2nd August 2023. For all successful candidates this should allow adequate time to plan for their absence. It is the successful applicant’s responsibility to follow their contractual notice arrangements.
For questions or further information, please do not hesitate to contact the Future Leaders admin team on email@example.com.