Please select the relevant option below:

Please note, if your query is about a visa application not listed below (e.g. spouse visas, EU settlement scheme etc) then please contact UKVI directly as the Tier 2 team is unable to assist with any visa issues outside of Tier 2.

New Tier 2 Visa Applications

Non-UK/non-EEA nationals who have been appointed to a medical or dental Training Programme in the UK are eligible to apply for Health Education England Tier 2 sponsorship.

Once you have received an offer of appointment, you should contact the HEE Overseas Sponsorship Team. They will arrange for an application pack to be sent to you. Once complete, please submit the application along with the necessary supporting documents to the HEE Overseas Sponsorship Team via email at and copy in the Yorkshire and Humber Tier 2 team at

Extensions to Existing Tier 2 Visas

You may need an extension to your visa if you require additional training time due to sick leave, maternity or remedial training, or if you change training programme.

You must notify the Tier 2 Team in Yorkshire and the Humber of any changes where you require an extension via email at

We recommend you apply for an extension 3 months prior to the expiry date on your current visa. (Currently the HEE Overseas Sponsorship Team will not accept extension requests more than 3 months in advance).

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

A Tier 2 visa holder can only hold a Tier 2 visa for a maximum of 6 years, after this point most are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) within the UK. As part of the ILR application process, the HEE Overseas Sponsorship team will issue a supporting letter to trainees.

Trainees should contact the Overseas Sponsorship Team to request this letter at and copy in the local Tier 2 team at so that we are aware an application is being made.

Trainees will be asked to provide supporting information & documentation, which may include:

  • Date of birth
  • Full name as stated on passport
  • GMC
  • Specialty currently undertaking
  • Date started current post
  • Expected CCT date
  • Copies of your last three pay slips

One component of the HEE support letter is to confirm any periods of absence that were either unauthorised or may have been outside of the UK in the 5 years preceding the ILR application. HEE do not hold this information, as we are not the employer, and trainees will need to request this information from each of their employing Trusts. Queries regarding this should again be directed to the Overseas Sponsorship Team.