The two-year foundation training programme covers four main areas: Clinical, Communication, Professionalism, and Leadership and Management. Within these areas, trainees must attain key skills and abilities. These are known as “major competencies”. Click on link to the COPDEND website.
Please note that a certificate cannot be reissued if this is misplaced.
The major competencies in the Clinical domain are:
- Patient examination and diagnosis
- Treatment planning and patient management
- Health promotion and disease prevention
- Medical and Dental Emergencies
- Anaesthesia, sedation, pain and anxiety control
- Periodontal therapy and management of soft tissue
- Hard and Soft Tissue Surgery
- Non-surgical management of the hard and soft tissues of the head and neck
- Management of the developing dentition
- Restoration of teeth
The major competencies in the Communication domain are:
- Communication with the patient and family
- Communication with the clinical team and peers
- Communication with other professionals
The major competencies in the Professionalism domain are:
- Professionalism with regard to patients
- Professionalism with regard to self
- Professionalism with regard to clinical team and peers
The major competencies in the Leadership & Management domain are:
- Personal and practice organization
- Leadership and Management
There is a comprehensive study day programme for foundation trainees. This will be shared with you, your Educational Supervisor and your Practice Manager prior to your first day so that they can be scheduled in to your timetable.
All study days should be enrolled on via Blackboard. The study days are a mix of virtual and face-to-face events.
Attendance at all study days is mandatory for satisfactory completion. After the study day, you will be asked to complete an evaluation form. Once completed, you will be able to download your attendance certificate.
Any expenses claims for these study days should be collated and submitted once a month, along with any receipts for trains/buses/taxis/parking. Claims must be submitted within three months of the study day. Claims submitted after three months will not be processed.
As per The Blue Guide - A Reference Guide for Postgraduate Foundation Training in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (2022), each foundation dentist will have an review of competence progression at 6 months (interim) and at approximately 10/11 months (final). All evidence for these reviews should be uploaded to your Axia ePortfolio at least 2 weeks prior to the RCP date.
The dates for the 2023 RCPs are:
IRCP - 2nd and 3rd March 2023
FRCP - 27 and 28 July 2023
The evidence required for your IRCP is available here.
If you have any questions regarding your evidence, please contact yoru Training Programme Director.
If you have any questions regarding the RCP process, please contact DentalSupport.firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject to being awarded an outcome 6, certificates are available at Axia at the end of August.
Please ensure that you download your certificate and keep a copy, as replacement certificates cannot be provided in the future.
The process for moving onto another primary care role in the NHS is on the PCSE website; https://pcse.england.nhs.uk/services/performers-lists/. Trainees should apply using the NPL3 form to the Area Team for the area in which they will be proposing to work.