Claiming Expenses for Recruitment - Hull Office.
Candidates attending interviews and selection centres that are managed by the Health Education England - Yorkshire and the Humber local office (HEE YH) are able to claim expenses. This guidance details the process for claiming expenses and applicable reimbursement limits.
Please note: this guidance is not intended for the use of interviewers. Interviewers should refer to "Reimbursement of Interview Expenses - Guidance for Interviewers".
1. General Guidance
- As a public body, Health Education England must demonstrate good value for money in all expenditure, including in the reimbursement of expenses. Applicants submitting expenses claims should ensure that all expenses claimed represent good value for money.
- Expenses are reimbursed at the discretion of HEE YH.
- For applicants travelling from within the United Kingdom, expenses will only be reimbursed from the applicant’s home address or place of work to the interview / selection centre venue and back.
- For applicants travelling from outside the United Kingdom to attend an interview / selection centre, expenses are only payable from the port of entry into the UK to the place of assessment and back. Expenses incurred travelling to and from the UK will not be reimbursed.
- For the purposes of claiming interview expenses the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are considered to be part of the UK.
- Any expenses relating to any pre-interview visits will not be reimbursed.
- Only expenses for applicants will be reimbursed. Expenses for travelling companions will not be reimbursed.
- Only the expenses detailed in this guidance will be reimbursed. Incidental expenses (e.g. for telephone calls, photocopying, printing) will not be reimbursed.
2. Submitting Expenses Claims
- Expenses claim forms must be received within 3 months of the interview/selection centre date. Claim forms received after this time will not be processed.
- Claim forms must be typed with the exception of the signature. Hand written or incomplete forms will not be processed.
- A separate claim form must be completed for each interview or selection centre attended.
- Original tickets or receipts for all expenses claimed (with the exception of travel by car) must be submitted with the expenses claim form. Photocopies or scanned copies will not be accepted.
- Completed forms should be submitted to the recruitment office postal address specified on the claim form.
- Applicants are advised to keep a copy of the claim form and receipts in case of problems with the postal service. We will not accept responsibility for claim forms which are delayed or lost in the post.
- Expenses claims will normally be processed within 6-8 weeks. However, during busy times in the recruitment calendar this may take up to 3 months
3. Claiming Travel Expenses
- Applicants are expected to use the most cost effective form of transport possible.
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed as follows:
- Rail fares will only be reimbursed where standard class tickets have been purchased.
- If first class rail tickets are claimed, evidence that they were cheaper than the equivalent standard class tickets must be provided.
- We reserve the right to only reimburse the cost of the cheapest fare.
Travel by car
- Travel by private car will be reimbursed at 24p per mile (Public Transport Rate).
- The shortest route will be reimbursed, in accordance with the AA Route Planner.
Travel by Taxi
- Taxi fares will only be reimbursed in the following instances:
- When public transport has been used, taxis may be used to travel from the applicant’s home or place of work to the nearest suitable railway or bus station and back.
- When public transport has been used, taxis may be used to travel from the nearest suitable railway or bus station to the interview/selection centre venue and back.
- When overnight accommodation has been approved, and public transport used to travel to the hotel, taxis may be used to travel from the hotel to the interview/selection centre venue and back.
- Taxis from the applicant’s home address or place of work to the interview/selection centre venue or back will not be reimbursed.
- Economy Class air fares will be reimbursed for applicants travelling from Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands to attend an interview / selection centre.
- Air fares for applicants travelling from the UK mainland will not normally be reimbursed. If air fares within the UK mainland are claimed, evidence that this was cheaper than the equivalent journey taken by an alternative form of transport (e.g. rail) must be provided.
- Applicants should be aware that despite our best efforts, interviews do occasionally run late. This should be considered when making travel arrangements. Additional travel expenses resulting from interviews running late will only be reimbursed if the delay is of more than one hour and is of no fault of the applicant.
- Original receipts or tickets must be provided for all travel expenses claimed except for travel by car. Expense claims for travel by rail, air or taxi without accompanying receipts or tickets will not be reimbursed.
4. Claiming Accommodation Expenses
- Overnight accommodation expense claims will only be reimbursed if the applicant cannot reasonably be expected to travel to the interview/selection centre on the day of the assessment.
- Expenses claims for overnight accommodation in commercial premises (e.g. hotel, guest house) will only be approved in the following instances:
- When the interview arrival time is before 09:00 and when the journey time to the interview / selection centre venue is more than 2 hours.
- When the interview arrival time is after 12:00 (midday) and when the journey time to the interview / selection centre venue is more than 2 hours.
- Applicants who do not meet the criteria stated above but feel they have exceptional circumstances which mean they require overnight accommodation (e.g. due to a disability) must obtain written approval prior to booking accommodation by emailing SpecialtyRec.YH@hee.nhs.uk. A copy of this written approval must be submitted with the claim form.
- The start and end times of journeys and the interview/selection centre must be stated on the claim form in order to claim accommodation expenses.
- The maximum overnight accommodation allowance is £55 (including breakfast).
- A maximum of one night’s accommodation expenses may be claimed per interview/selection centre.
- Receipts must be provided for all accommodation expenses claimed. Accommodation expense claims without accompanying receipts will not be reimbursed.
5. Claiming Parking Expenses
- Parking expenses will only be reimbursed in the following instances:
- If complimentary parking is not provided at the interview / selection centre venue, parking expenses will be reimbursed for the duration of the applicant’s attendance at the venue.
- When overnight accommodation is claimed, and is approved, overnight parking expenses may be claimed if complementary parking is not provided at the hotel / guest house.
- Parking Fines or Penalty Charge Notices will not be reimbursed under any circumstances.
- Original receipts or tickets must be provided for all parking expenses claimed. Parking expense claims without accompanying receipts or tickets will not be reimbursed.
6. Claiming Meal Expenses
- Meal expenses will be reimbursed as follows:
- When overnight accommodation expenses are claimed, and approved, the maximum meal allowance is £20.
- When overnight accommodation expenses are not claimed, or are not approved, the maximum meal allowance is £5.
- Expenses claims for alcoholic beverages will not be reimbursed under any circumstances.
- Original receipts must be provided for all meal expenses claimed. Meal expense claims without accompanying receipts will not be reimbursed.
Postal Address - please download the appropriate form below and send to the relevant office
Health Education England (Hull Office)
Grange Park Lane