Health Education England - Yorkshire and the Humber (HEE-YH) has launched a Virtual Learning Environment called Blackboard Learn, along with the Blackboard Collaborate video conferencing solution, to deliver teaching and training across the region.
As an anaesthetic trainee in the region, you are now eligible to register for and activate your account which will give you access to the School of Anaesthesia's secure area within Blackboard. There you will find educational material (“Courses”), presented as modules mapped to the curriculum. It is also where you will access Collaborate, which will be used as a video conferencing medium for live teaching sessions.
HELP is a portal that HEE-YH have created to offer wider accessibility to Blackboard Learn and Collaborate. HELP is where you will find and sign up to (“enrol onto”) any anaesthetic education modules you wish to undertake. Once you have enrolled onto a module, it will become visible in your Blackboard account.
Here are some FAQs that we would like to share with each of you regarding Blackboard Learn and HELP usage.
You can now create your account for the platform using the HEE YH Education and Learning Portal (HELP) which can be accessed using the link below:
HEE YH Education and Learning Portal (HELP) under anaesthetic category
Once you have created your account, it will be useful (but not mandatory) to enrol yourself onto the user guides and videos (these can be found in the Catalogue section of HELP):
HEE Blackboard 101 Resource Hub
HEEYH Education and Learning Portal
No, please sign into HELP using your Blackboard login.
HELP is a portal for enrolment and un-enrolment onto education modules (called ‘courses’ on HELP and Blackboard. Once enrolled onto, the modules will appear on your Blackboard account.
Anaesthetic Blackboard modules presently available through HELP are:
- Quality Improvement for Anaesthetists
- Planetary Health and Sustainable Health Care
- Paediatric Anaesthesia Study Resources
- Anaesthetic Tea Trolley resources: These are resources that can be used for tea trolley sessions in hospitals where you are.
- Friday Afternoon Teaching at Leeds: Live anaesthetic and ICM teaching sessions from Leeds Teaching Hospitals.
- Procedural Sedation: This is a package on Procedural Sedation including e- Learning, please launch the video e-Learning ignoring the assessment date and the popup blocker that sometimes appears with this module.
- More modules, including a TIVA education package and a courses calendar (detailing courses on offer throughout the YH region), will be added over the coming months. They will appear in HELP once they are live.
Blackboard Learn is a VLE where modules will be stored and Collaborate can be accessed for live teaching sessions. HELP is currently a portal through which to access those educational modules but eventually it is hoped that it will also be used as a portal for registration on to other courses, sessions and conferences happening outside of Blackboard and Collaborate.
When you log in to your HELP account, the modules that are linked to Anaesthetics will automatically appear for you to enrol onto when you select ‘Anaesthetics’ from the category menu on the left-hand side.
Please note that as Blackboard Learn and Collaborate are cloud-based platforms, your experience will be based on your internet connection. We recommend using
Google Chrome to access the platforms where possible (although we would suggest trying alternative browsers to find the most suitable fit for your device).
Blackboard is available in App format which can be downloaded from the Apple App store and the Google Play store
When accessing the Blackboard App for the first time, you will need to enter your institution ’Health Education England’ before being prompted for the login details you were given when you registered via HELP .