Leave and Expenses.

Any queries regarding leave and expenses can be sent to the Public Health team at publichealth.yh@hee.nhs.uk  

Annual Leave

Leave for registrars from a medical background is regulated according to Junior Doctors' Terms & Conditions.  This is currently between 5 and 6 weeks per year, depending on length of service, plus bank holidays.

Leave for registrars from a non-medical background is regulated according to Agenda for Change Terms & Conditions. This is 27 days per year initially, rising to 29 days after 5 years service and 33 days after 10 years

Annual leave is booked with your educational supervisor. Registrars should liaise with their current placements and complete the relevant local forms.

Carrying over leave is not normally allowed but, if required, can be discussed with the Training Programme Director.

Study Leave


Study leave for academic courses and exam preparation is given at the discretion of trainee’s educational supervisor.

Study leave for the MPH is typically 2 days per week if studying part time and 4 days per week during a full time MPH, plus extra time to undertake the MPH dissertation.

Part A preparation study leave is typically 1 day per week during the 6 months prior. An extra day per week is also permitted in the 3-4 months before the exam so trainees can take part in the part A revision course arranged through the school (attendance at this course is compulsory for our trainees). However, it is important to remember that all study leave is open to negotiation with trainees' local educational supervisors, and should be discussed with and approved by them beforehand.

After the MPH, a typical agreement would be 30 days per year inclusive of exam preparation.

Study leave for external courses and conference attendances follows the Health Education England working across Yorkshire and the Humber study leave guidelines, which can be accessed here.


Study leave expenses that may be claimed for includes travel costs, course fees, hotels and subsistence.

Regarding hotels, payroll will only pay a maximum of £55 per night unless it is a Travel Inn, Travel Lodge or Premier Lodge (they will pay full amount) or unless it is booked via Capita Travel (again, they will pay full amount).  Capita Travel are a booking agency. You can contact them on 0844 7937381 and you need to give the reference NHS LTH LEE. You should make sure that you make it clear on your claim form that the accommodation was booked through Expotel otherwise it will not be paid in full.

Allowance of £25 is available if staying with friends or relatives, which includes a meal allowance.

For meals, a £5 lunch allowance can be claimed, providing more than 5 hours is spent away from principal place of work, including between 12.00 noon to 2.00 pm.  The evening meal is limited to £15 providing more than 10 hours is spent away from principal

Mileage for study leave is paid at 24p per mile.

Unfortunately, attendance at the Part A revision course, travel to university modules for the MPH, and the cost of exam fees cannot be claimed for.

The Yorkshire and the Humber Study /Examination Leave Claim Form (SL-A) and the online expenses system are used for study leave and exam expenses.  Form SL-A is an application form on which the study activities and expected costs are documented.  This form needs to be signed by your Educational or Project Supervisor and then submitted to Amanda Cartwright at HEYH at least 6 weeks before the study leave date for approval.  Once this has been approved actual expenses incurred should be claimed via the online system as per usual expenses, within 3 months of incurring the costs.

N.B. Form SL-C is no long used for claiming expenses once costs have been incurred.

Maternity and other leave

When leave needs be taken to cover unexpected circumstances, such as sickness in a dependant, the “Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust (LTHT) Special Leave” policy should be followed.

Maternity entitlement follows the “LTHT maternity policy”.  There is also an LTHT guide to Maternity/Adoption/Paternity/ Parental leave to provide further information. Guidance on maternity leave can also be found on the HEE YH website, here.

LTHT supports a salary sacrifice scheme for childcare vouchers, available through a company called Fideliti.