Educational appraisal & CPD for Educational Supervisors
‘A Framework for the Professional Development of Postgraduate Medical Supervisors’ from the Academy of Medical Educators 2009 defines the seven standards against which supervisors need to show current training against with evidence for appraisal in some or all of these.
Further information about Educational Appraisal can be found in the 'Guide to Educational Appraisal' delivered at the School Conference in November 2020 (see powerpoint slides below)
A detailed description is summarised in this article in the RCoA Bulletin from the SEAUK by Dr Walwyn https://www.seauk.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Educational-Appraisal.pdf
There are multiple local, regional & national opportunities to participate in training-related activities which fulfil all seven domains. All ESs are encouraged to get involved!
- Ensuring safe & effective patient care through training
- Courses attended on supervision, learning or teaching (see 7)
- Supporting trainees in QI work. The RCoA have previously offered courses in QI for trainers. There is e-learning through the RCPs https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/education-practice/courses/supervising-quali...
- Establishing & maintaining an environment for learning
- Completing the annual GMC Trainer Survey/acting on results https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/how-we-quality-assure/national-training...
- Teaching and facilitating learning
- Participation in teaching programmes including non-exam courses and simulation courses. Opportunities are here https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nhs.uk/anaesthesia/curriculum-delivery...
- Enhancing learning through assessment
- Links to HEYH website for faculty for virtual Primary & Final FRCA exam practice https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nhs.uk/anaesthesia
- Links to RCoA for interest in observing FRCA exams or becoming an examiner https://rcoa.ac.uk/examinations/becoming-frca-examiner/visitors-frca-exa...
- Links to HEYH website for ARCP dates - please contact your College Tutor/TPD to offer to help on Panel https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nhs.uk/anaesthesia/assessments-wpba-ap...
- Supporting & monitoring educational progress
- Recruitment: Assisting with self-score marking, links to recruitment panel requests for CT1 & ST3 National recruitment ?where is this apart from Sue e-mailing https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=K5Gn_5ewMUGcD9DoB1Wy...
- Guiding personal & professional development
- Mentoring. AAGBI has a four-day mentoring training programme https://anaesthetists.org/Home/Wellbeing-support/Mentoring
- Coaching. HEYH has a coaching programme open to all trainers https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nhs.uk/learner_support/coaching
- CPD as an educator
- HEYH School of Anaesthesia Conference. Annually, October. Includes updates for ESs
- RCoA Anaesthetists as Educators Programme https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/events/anaesthetists-educators-programme
- Society for Education in Anaesthesia UK (SEAUK) has a wealth of Educational resources (Appraisal, feedback, mentoring, doctors in difficulty, the generation game) https://www.seauk.org/educational-resources/ as well as an Annual Scientific Meeting.This year it is virtual on March 22nd 2021 https://www.seauk.org/asm-2020/ Dr Sue Walwyn (TPD West) is the Society’s President & has given kind permission to share resources. Membership of SEAUK is only £20
- SEAUK has had a number of very useful publications in the RCoA College Bulletin ranging from giving feedback, training in the workplace and non-technical skills https://www.seauk.org/publications/bulletin-articles/
- HEYH generic TPD & ES Development days: half day sessions, virtual, for ESs of all specialties https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nhs.uk/faculty/tpd__es_development_days
A brief HEE generic summary of suggested evidence to collect in relation to the role as supervisor for revalidation & appraisal purposes https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/20210120_ed...